This is a fragrant recipe with no peeling or seeding required! Use any shape or color of tomatoes.
10 pounds of tomatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dried mixed Italian herbsor 4 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs (basil, oregano and/or rosemary)
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper and/or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
1. Place oven rack high in the oven and preheat to 425 F.
2. Cut tomatoes into halves and spread in a single layer, skin sidedown in a shallow baking pan. If you use large, beef-steak types,cut into fourths instead of halves.
3. Drizzle on olive oil. Sprinkle on dried mixed Italian herbs orchopped fresh herbs. Sprinkle on salt sugar and black pepper and/orcrushed red pepper flakes. Spritz on three cloves of minced garlic.
4. Roast for about 90 minutes, until the slices have reduced downand the edges are slightly charred.
5. Scoop mixture into a blender or food processor (you may need to do this in batches) and process until somewhat smooth. Or if you have a food mill you can use that too.
6. Add lemon juice or vinegar to mixture and reheat if necessary.Pour into hot (sterilized) pint canning jars, being sure to leave1/4-inch head space. Adjust lids and rings. Process in boiling waterbath for 35 minutes. Add time if you are at high altitude.
This is a recipe I got from a yahoo canning group (I apoligize as I don't remember the original posters name to give her credit) I use it often! Don't alter the garlic amount in it as it will change the acid level making it unsafe to can in a waterbath canner. You can add more upon opening the jar when you use it which is what I do. This avoids all the cooking down of sauce that takes so long -- super easy!